Renovating? Considering installing hardwood flooring? Great idea! Not only are hardwood floors gorgeous, but with proper maintenance, they can last a lifetime in your Ottawa home. So how do you maintain hardwood floors? It’s easier than you might think. Simply follow the below guidelines to keep them at their best for years to come.
Every day, or every other day, use a broom or dry mop to remove dirt and debris. Wet mops should be avoided as water can damage the wood. Once a week, use a vacuum with a floor-brush attachment (never a beater-bar attachment) to get at the hair, dust and other filthy bits your daily sweep doesn’t snag.
A More Thorough Washing
At least once a month, it’s wise to give your floor an extra heavy-duty swabbing. Use a manufacturer recommended product (typically something like Bona or Murphy’s Oil Soap but it depends on the type of wood and finish) and carefully follow the suggested cleaning method. No matter what product you use, it’s important to first apply it to the mop and then wring out any excess amount of the cleaner. The mop surface should only be very slightly damp when you apply it to cleaning your floors.
And Once Every 10 to 20 Years
Once a decade or so, hardwood flooring needs to be refinished. This means stripping it down through sanding and then applying a fresh finish. Confident DIYers might elect to take on this task on their own but the majority of Ottawa homeowners prefer to contract out this laborious task.
In addition to keeping your floors clean, if you adopt the following habits, you’re less likely to damage them through every day use.
- Never walk on hardwood floors with heeled shoes
- Wipe up spills immediately
- Apply adhesive felt pads to the bottom of furniture legs to avoid possible scratching and scuffing
- Pick up furniture—don’t drag it—if you need to reposition it
- Use door mats both in and outside of your home’s entrances to prevent tracking in debris
- If you have hardwood flooring in the kitchen, lay down an area rug near the sink
- Use a humidifier in the winter to prevent an excess of dryness in your home from damaging your hardwood floors
A Hardwood Flooring Supplier Who’s Got You Covered
Looking for a flooring store in Ottawa? Argos Carpets specializes in providing a vast assortment of flooring options, including a wide selection of hardwood in a variety of types, finishes and designs (standard plank, hand-cut patterns, etc.). Contact us today to find out if we have what you’re looking for, or visit our 60,000 square-foot warehouse to peruse our many flooring options.