Have you recently been considering changing the flooring in your Ottawa home? There’s no better time to do it! Today’s vast choice of quality flooring materials, colours and styles means there’s a flooring option that’s just right for you—and your budget. If you’re unsure of what you would like to have done though, let’s take a look at your options:
Pros and Cons of Different Types of Flooring:
- Carpet is a great choice for rooms with low traffic that can benefit from its sound insulating properties and warmth, like bedrooms. However, even though carpet is more stain resistant than it was a decade ago, it still requires regular maintenance and may not be the best choice for people who suffer from allergies, or who have busy schedules that reduce their availability to clean frequently.
- Ceramic tile has been and still is in a class of its own. Its unique look, feel, durability, ease of maintenance and vast choice of design and colour make it the floor covering of choice if you prefer a versatile look for your living space. Worth noting however is the relatively higher cost, lack of soundproof qualities and coldness of ceramic tile means it may not be ideal for all applications.
- Hardwood flooring is another timeless favourite, and is a great choice if you like a “traditional” look, www.octopusskirting.com.au/skirting-installations/ check out for a few examples. Hardwood flooring in Ottawa is low-maintenance and wear-resistant, increases the value of your home and can be sanded and refinished several times. The downside? It can be prone to denting, doesn’t like standing water and may be more costly than other types of flooring.
- Laminate flooring is really hard to beat for cost-effectiveness, durability, ease of maintenance and flexibility when it comes to emulating certain looks. It can also be great for high-traffic areas (even pets will have a hard time staining and scratching it!). Where it is not recommended would be places that may get wet. Additionally, once you decide on a look, you’ll be committed to it unless you decide to have it replaced in the future. Unlike hardwood flooring, laminate cannot be refinished.
- Vinyl flooring is renowned for its durability, and therefore the flooring of choice for many commercial applications. It is great for resisting wear, scratches, UV discolouration and stains. It also comes in a rainbow of design choices, is relatively easy to install, has noise-reducing qualities and is cost-effective. Similar to laminate flooring however, it cannot be refinished, and may be prone to tearing. Additionally, it lacks the sharp visual appeal of some of the other flooring options available to consumers, and therefore may not be the best option for you if you’re looking to “spice up” your space.
At Argos Carpets we’re happy to answer all your questions about flooring, and look forward to showing you our selection of flooring options in our 60,000 square foot warehouse.